by Kac Young PhD, ND, DCH
The number one tip for helping to prevent catching a cold or the flu this season is to wash your hands. But it isn’t just a fast and casual pass through running water. There’s an art to washing your hands to ward off the bacteria and viruses that cause colds and flu.
• Use warm water.
• Use real soap. Add a few drops of Tea Tree Essential Oil to liquid soap.
• Sing Happy Birthday to yourself to achieve a full 20 second washing.
• Rinse thoroughly.
• Do this 20-30 times a day.
The second tip is to be aware that germs and bugs pass easily from person to person.
• Avoid touching door knobs, handles, faucets, pens or styluses used for signing credit card or debit purchases, electronic bank machines, car doors and public railings.
• Keep your hands away from your face, lips, eyes and nose.
• Carry a small bottle of home-made hand sanitizer and use it before eating food snacks or sipping on a bottle of water or soft drink. Add 5 drops of Tea Tree Essential Oil to a commercial hand sanitizer or use 1 oz. aloe vera gel with the Essential Oils instead.
• Carry your own pen to use for writing and signing papers, credit card slips and keep yours rubbed down with alcohol every day.
10 drops Eucalyptus
8 drops Tea Tree EO
5 drops Thyme E
6 drops Lavender EO
3 drops Lemon EO
(You can use this blend in a diffuser or add ¼ cup spring water to a spray bottle and spritz the room several times a day.)
2 drops Tea Tree EO
2 drops Lavender EO
2 drops Eucalyptus EO
And…..Be sure you get enough rest and eat healthy.